Become an Advocate
In today’s age of digital access to information, you may ask, "Why do we need libraries?"
The simplest way to answer that question is to visit the Mead Public Library. You will find a vibrant, thriving community center, with people from all walks of life coming together to access the Library's many resources. The Library as a place to simply check out books is a thing of the past. The Library of today and tomorrow is so much more.
The Mead Public Library contributes to the quality of life in the community, upward mobility and the desirability of the Sheboygan market as a place to relocate families and businesses. Public Libraries are a great investment in our communities — for every $1 invested, Wisconsin Public Libraries return $4.06 in direct benefits to their communities. (Source: 2008 study conducted by the NorthStar Economics Inc.)
Last year, the Mead Public Library hosted over 300,000 visitors, who checked out nearly 600,000 physical items, attended one of over 1200 programs offered or used the library's network for Internet access. Please support the Mead Public Library!
Here are several steps you can take to become a strong advocate for our Library:
- Show your library pride. Get and use a Library card – one of the most important cards in your wallet
- Give us feedback through our website, call us or fill out a feedback form and let us know how we’re doing
- Become a Library volunteer and see the Library’s impact firsthand
- Tell friends, neighbors and others about our Library and its many resources
- Follow the Library on Facebook or Twitter
- Make a donation. Your gift will help the library and demonstrate community support
- Contact funding decision-makers
- Tell friends, neighbors and others about our Library and encourage them to become advocates as well
- Join our Advocacy list below and receive periodic e-Newsletters through email
To learn more about how your Library serves the community, click here.
Other resources dedicated to public library advocacy:
- http://www.everychildreadytoread.org/ - An initiative of the Public Library Association
- http://www.ilovelibraries.org/ - An initiative of the American Library Association
- Keeping Public Libraries Public - a checklist of reasons against the privatization of American Public Libraries
- Quotable Facts about American Public Libraries
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - Initiative for Global Libraries
- Public Library Association - list of advocacy resources